.widget.Profile .widget-content>a img.profile-img { min-width: 80px!important; min-height: 80px!important; max-width: 80px; border-radius: 40px; }

Saturday 9 January 2016

Why I'm becoming passionate about Pilates...

The gym and me... It's always been a temperamental relationship, sometimes we are passionate, can't-get-enough-of-each lovers and at other times we are worst enemies, both stubborn, who refuse to come into contact for months on end.
The Louise/Gym relationship has been like this for years and I know this as my Timehop keeps reminding me so.

I've always really wanted to be a runner, not a professional runner, not even runner that's able to complete a marathon, but to be able to go out and do a 30 minute/40 minute run, clear my head, all the while gliding along like a gazelle looking graceful,.... Nope, not me. I go out, struggle to breath after five minutes, get frustrated, red faced and can't wait to get home. I keep this up for a few sessions and then eventually give up.
The actual action of doing cardio doesn't excite me, in actual fact I dread it. I hate the feeling of being out of breath as it reminds me of having an anxiety attack , which logically I know is ridiculous but I can't get my head in suitable place to 'break that barrier.'




Which leads me on to Pilates...

My gym has a Pilates class at 09:00 on a Saturday morning, I had tried to get into the class a number of times but it was always fully booked, I soon learnt if you want in on this particular class you need to book as soon as the new timetable goes live, which happens to be early on a Sunday morning!
I finally managed to get a slot for the following Saturday,
I went to my first class without any expectations, all I knew of Pilates was that it was similar to Yoga but a bit more calorie burning was involved, which seemed like a winner to me.
When I arrived, I was about 5 minutes early, so the instructor told us to lie on our mats close our eyes and just concentrate on our breathing, in through the nose and out and through the mouth. At first I felt a little self conscious, just lying down and have a snooze in a room full of people, but in actual fact this has now become one of favorite parts of the Pilates class. Some time to just sit and be present in that moment and leave all the stresses of day-to-day life outside the door.
Once the class starts, it consists of 95% floor exercises, all of which are slow steady movements using your core and working through your breath.
During the classes we concentrate on such moves as the Pilates bridge, the 100 and rolling like a ball.









The class is a mixture of muscle shaking holding poses and long body stretches which I feel is the perfect combination.
Pilates for me, unlike cardio exercises, actually allows me to switch off for the hour and just concentrate only on the movements in that moment.
I remember vividly leaving that first class and although although I enjoyed it, I thought to myself, that was 'nice' but I can't see how that class burnt any calories. Well, that was until the following day, 24 hours later and my stomach and bum muscles felt like I had completed a two hour high intensity training session! That alone was enough for me to want to go back. 

Since then, I now look forward to my Saturday morning classes. Usually setting the alarm for 08:15 at the weekend would feel you with dread but as I know I am going to get a full body workout, without the breathlessness, sweat or red face but gaining a stronger core, stretching, relaxing and mindfulness, it makes getting out of bed that little bit easier.

The great thing about Pilates is that, unlike me, if you do enjoy other regular exercise, for instance, you are a runner, Pilates compliments this. Runners who now do Pilates have said "Pilates has not only made my hips stronger but also stretched them at the same time, allowing me to have more fluid movements when I run. My legs can kick back further and my stride has improved."
Knowing that doing Pilates alone but also alongside other exercise can help you improve in other areas is fantastic motivation.

Going forward I know this is a regime I want to pursue, I want to become stronger and eventually when I'm doing that single leg bridge I want able get my leg to be by my ear... We can all dream right?

Do you currently do Pilates? Whats your favourite thing about it?

Louise.

Love Pilates? Check out these guys:

YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/blogilates
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sianmarshallpilates

1 comment: